Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Working on a house of idol worship
My occupation is that of an electrician. I work for an electrical contractor. Recently I was assigned the job of performing the electrical work for a renovation project for a local house of idol worship. This included the electrical work involved in the addition of an elevator to allow handicapped persons access to the structure.

If I did not do this job my boss would be unhappy with me which would affect my future income capabilities. Also just because I refuse to do the job does not mean it would not be done. Either some other company would do it or, more likely, my employer would have someone else do it.

My question, does my work fall under the category of helping others practice idol worship? The work is not located in the actual "sanctuary" and those times I might have to go in there I refrain from any semblance of bowing or paying respect to the lectern which is what they consider the "altar."

NOTE: I also do not demonstrate any disrespect for anyone I see there and while I refrain from any vain or vulgar talk and demand the same from my helpers I make it clear that it is not because of the location but rather one should act that way at all times.
This question was presented to Rabbi Moshe Weiner, author of "The Divine Code." He responded that you are allowed to perform this work.
I just got a part-time job as a coffee lady in a big office.

My duty includes cleaning and wiping 50+ office tables including stuff on the table-top. There are a few tables of female office executive staff with collection of their idols, gods and stuff which are quite idolatrous in nature. I felt quiet oppressive and do not touch them at all.

What is your view for a Jewish lady and Gentile lady on this job scope of work?

Shalom !

Rebekah Giam
I can understand how distasteful it must be for you to work in the environment of this office. You have chosen a good policy, that you are not touching or cleaning the idols themselves. Under these circumstances, it's OK if you choose to remain with this job. Hopefully you will not have to deal with any complaints from those executives.
Hi, I have a question - I'm a member of a theatre company that performs in the lower level of a house of idol worship (not in the actual sanctuary). Since we are permitted by the owners to use the space for free, the theatre company donates a portion of our profit from every performance to the house of worship. Is it acceptable for me to be working under this arrangement, or should I not be participating?
It is forbidden to benefit the idol worship, so it seems that this is not accepted.