Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Contraceptives and Righteous Gentiles
Hello Rabbi,

I am having difficulty finding information concerning the use of birth control by Noahides. These are my questions to you:

1. Are Noahides required to procreate? If so, how many children does it take to satisfy this requirement?

2. In a normal Noahide marriage, is it against Noahide Halacha to restrain reproduction by using contraceptives? Is it against Noahide Halacha to engage in sexual activity between man and wife that would not result in procreation?

3. On a personal level, my wife and I have two sons. Medically, my wife was told by her physician that it would threaten her life if she were to have any more children and it is also now unsafe for her to use any type of hormonal contraception options such as the birth control pill. What options do we have in this situation? She mentioned that I could get a vasectomy, but I am afraid it might somehow violate the statute against castration.

Thank you for your time,

Travis
For only with this may one glorify himself - contemplating and knowing Me, for I am Hashem Who does kindness, justice and righteousness in the land, for in these is My desire - the word of Hashem.
Yirmiyahu 9:23
Shalom Travis,
To begin, Noahides are not specifically commanded to procreate. Thus a Noahide couple who chooses to not have children has not transgressed. If you have children, you have done your part to populate the world.
Contraception for Noahides is permissible using a method that is not considered spilling seed. For a Noahide, spilling seed is defined as the ejaculation of the man by an act which the Torah does not consider to be intercourse with a woman (for example, coitus interuptus or ejaculation during oral sex). Therefore a couple that is old and can not have children or an infertile couple may engage in the act of intercourse. Intercourse with a condom is also permitted as is with spermicide, or a diaphragm.
For Noahides, a vasectomy though would be forbidden not because it is castration but rather because it is an operation that is not necessary for one's health. Thus it is an act of mutilating the body which is prohibited for a Noahide.
(Torah law is more strict for Jews in all of these matters.)
Rabbi Yitz
Question 
What if the Noahide has already had a vasectomy before knowing of this ruling? Should he seek to have a reversal? I, myself, am 54 and had this proceedure when I was 27. I had three children, prior to the vasectomy. Where does that put me?
If a Noahide has already had a vasectomy, there is no obligation to have it reversed. If he desires to have it reversed, there is a question because of the health risk posed by the operation. It would be proper to consult with a reliable Orthodox Rabbi before going ahead with a reversal operation.

A reversal operation does not reverse or remove the sin that was done. That is accomplished by sincere repentance.
Dear Rabbi,

"For Noahides, a vasectomy though would be forbidden not because it is castration but rather because it is an operation that is not necessary for one's health. Thus it is an act of mutilating the body which is prohibited for a Noahide."

Is this above statement true for women and tubal ligations? I have had 4 children, the last 3 were c-sections with various complications. I have been told by doctors that repeat c-sections could cause problems in future pregnancies (the scar tissue and risk of uterine rupture). My husband and I are torn as to what to do; I would love to have one last child and then have my "tubes tied" while I have the c-section to prevent an "unnecessary operation", but we wonder if this situation would warrant an operation before I become pregnant to avoid any possible health problems. Knowing the halacha on this issue would be really helpful.

Thank you,
Kristine
A Tubal Ligation is not considered mutilation for a Bas Noach and certainly it is permissible in a case when it is medically indicated and would be injurious to the woman's health to continue to conceive.
Rabbi Yitz
Greetings,

If a Noahide man is forbidden to spill seed. . . does it logically follow that any contraception that works on semen would be prohibited-- including condoms and spermicide? It seems a more proper contraceptive would be the birth control pill which works on the woman, not the man. Also, the morning after pill does not abort anything, as some people think. But rather it prevents a conception.

Please check again about condoms.

G-d bless.
BS"D

Thanks for your questions and comments:

bdschuh Wrote:If a Noahide man is forbidden to spill seed. . . does it logically follow that any contraception that works on semen would be prohibited-- including condoms and spermicide?

Spermicide without a condom is certainly not a problem, because the seed is not emitted outside of the woman.

The use of condoms during intercourse is an obvious question, and it is indeed forbidden for Jewish men.
However, for Gentiles, the ACT itself accomplishes the positive ACT that is allowed (i.e. maintaining attachment with one's spouse through marital relations). For this reason, there is no basis for a definitive ruling that it is forbidden for Gentiles.

bdschuh Wrote:Also, the morning after pill does not abort anything, as some people think. But rather it prevents a conception.

Please see Post #2 in this thread of our Forum:
https://asknoah.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=2025

bdschuh Wrote:Please check again about condoms.

I have checked internationally with great Rabbis on this issue. They can't find a proof anywhere in Torah on which to base a ruling that it is definitely forbidden for Gentiles. If a Noahide wants conduct himself above the minimum level of the halacha, then he can make the decision to not used condoms, and only use birth control methods in which the seed is emitted inside and then destroyed before or without conception, or in which the fertilized egg is passed to the outside without being actively killed in the process.

Best regards,

Director Michael
Director Michael Wrote:The use of condoms during intercourse is an obvious question, and it is indeed forbidden for Jewish men.
However, for Gentiles, the ACT itself accomplishes the positive ACT that is allowed (i.e. maintaining attachment with one's spouse through marital relations). For this reason, there is no basis for a definitive ruling that it is forbidden for Gentiles.

Director Michael Wrote:I have checked internationally with great Rabbis on this issue. They can't find a proof anywhere in Torah on which to base a ruling that it is definitely forbidden for Gentiles.

This is very important as we live in a world with AIDS. Even if Noahides use to keep the moral high, it's good to know you can tell others, non-Noahide Gentiles, that they can use condoms.

/Niklas
Of course this should not be used as an excuse for condoning "safe" gay sex, which is strictly forbidden regardless of whether any "protection" is used.