Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How is blasphemy committed?
Reading the law of blasphemy, the act that can make one liable to death, I'm not sure if I'm missing something. Is it even possible to break this law now if it can only be broken if the explicit name of G-d is the object of the curse, it being said in the correct Hebrew, a name is almost unknown amongst Gentiles, especially in Hebrew?
It's just strange that this law seems impossible to both keep and break. Is this a law that is only meant for the Messianic Age? Or am I misunderstanding?
You seem to be misunderstanding. First, there is a degree of blasphemy that is a capital sin, and a lesser degree of blasphemy that is sinful and forbidden but not a capital sin. (See "The Divine Code", Part III.)

The degree that is a capital sin involves uttering a specific curse (G-d forbid) against the Hebrew four-letter Explicit Name of G-d, which is expressed in one of two spellings and pronunciations that appear frequently throughout the Torah, as in Exodus 20:7 (the Tetragrammaton Name) and Genesis 18:27 (which is another holy Name that is used as the substitute for the Tetragrammaton Name). Although there are secret Kabbalistic spellings and pronunciations of the Explicit Name, the capital sin of blasphemy is committed when either of these two cited versions of the Name is cursed in the forbidden manner (G-d forbid), even when the Name (in either version) is pronounced according to its simple spelling and its simple vowelization as given in the well-know Masoretic text. Anyone who has a rudimentary knowledge of Hebrew is able to read and pronounce those Names. Furthermore, the Name in Genesis 18:27 is used in virtually all Jewish prayers and blessings, as a permitted substitute for the Tetragrammaton, since the Tetragrammaton should not be spoken (even though it is written out and vowelized in the Masoretic text).