Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Marriage and Marital Issues
(11-13-2014, 01:10 AM)alexdantas Wrote: How should the relationship between the Noahide couple, dating, engagement and marriage?

I'm not sure that I understand your question. If you are asking if it is correct for a matrimonial relationship between a Noahide man and woman to develop in the order of dating, then engagement, and then marriage - the answer is yes.

(11-13-2014, 01:10 AM)alexdantas Wrote: I believe that dating is nonexistent because physical contact is a big risk.

Yes, it is a risk, but on the other hand, if a man and woman are considering the possibility of getting married to each other, they need to spend some time dating together (with limitations), getting to know each other well enough to be sure that they are compatible, that they have an attraction to each other, and that they agree on key points - so they will both agree that they will have a good long-term marriage relationship.

(11-13-2014, 01:10 AM)alexdantas Wrote: After the secular form of dating is something that allows many freedoms contrary to holiness.

Therefore dating, and anything else in a person's life, should not be approached from a purely secular perspective, but rather from the perspective of "I have set G-d before me always" (Psalms 16:8), and "In all your ways, know Him" (Proverbs 3:6).

When a person gets a strong medicine from his doctor, he would be foolish and possibly suicidal if he took the whole bottle of medicine at once, with no limitations. Simple human logic says: read the instructions first, and then, in accordance with the instructions, take the medicine as prescribed in the proper limited doses.

Similarly, G-d puts healthy physical attraction for the opposite gender into human beings for the purpose of giving people the necessary encouragement to fulfill His blessing to be fruitful and multiply, to fill the earth with civilized human beings in wholesome loving families, who will make the world into settled societies with peace and justice, so as to be a proper vessel to become a dwelling place for G-d.

To continue with the point of the analogy, the Head Doctor is G-d (as it says in Exodus 15:26, "I am G-d your Healer"). For Jews, the instructions for taking that "medicine" are found in the "Code of Jewish Law" (Shulchan Aruch). For Gentiles, the instructions are found in the book "The Divine Code" (or "Sheva Mitzvot HaShem" in Hebrew), by Rabbi Moshe Weiner of Jerusalem:
https://asknoah.org/books/the-divine-code

(11-13-2014, 01:10 AM)alexdantas Wrote: The engagement would be through a wedding ring, thus making the commitment of the couple to publicly express?

I assume you mean an "engagement" ring. For Gentile couples that is permitted, but not required. The main thing is for the man and woman to be up-front and honest to each other, following through with their stated commitments or asking permission to do otherwise. That is why Jacob kept his verbal promise to marry Rachel (whom he still wanted to marry), even though he was tricked into marrying Leah first and he would have preferred to have only one wife.

(However, the engagement of a Jewish couple should not include a gift from the man to the woman as an accompaniment to the promise of marriage, because the woman's acceptance of the gift could create a status of actual marriage within Torah-law, in advance of their wedding ceremony, thereby requiring a Torah-law divorce procedure if they decide to break off their engagement. Instead, in honor of the engagement, there is a Jewish custom for the parents of groom-to-be to give a gift to the bride-to-be, and the parents of the bride-to-be give a gift to the groom-to be.)

Messages In This Thread
Marriage and Marital Issues - by ProudNoachide - 06-25-2007, 04:22 AM
RE: Marriage/forbidden relations - by rabbiyitz - 06-25-2007, 05:52 AM
Polygamy - by Director Michael - 01-09-2011, 06:03 PM
RE: Marriage and forbidden partners - by Director Michael - 11-16-2014, 06:16 PM
RE: Marriage - by alexdantas - 11-16-2014, 08:44 PM
RE: Marriage - by Director Michael - 11-21-2014, 10:14 AM
RE: Marriage - by ahivarn - 11-25-2014, 08:50 PM
RE: Marriage - by Director Michael - 11-28-2014, 12:19 PM
RE: Marriage - by Rabbi Moshe Weiner - 12-05-2014, 02:21 AM
RE: Marriage - by alexdantas - 12-05-2014, 06:57 PM
RE: Marriage - by Director Michael - 12-12-2014, 02:27 PM
RE: Marriage - by Joshua123 - 02-20-2015, 12:35 PM
RE: Marriage - by Director Michael - 02-24-2015, 09:21 PM