Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remembering the Seventh day
B"H

Shalom Dr. Schulman,

Thank you very much for the response and the very kind words!!

In the spirit of education and to truly understand, I am going to respectfully pushback a little bit on your response quoted here:

"But you should not recite any prayers or declarations that you are making the seventh day sanctified or separated for yourself (i.e. in a distinct separate category) compared to the other days of the week. This means that prayers of "Kiddush" (sanctification of the day) or "Havdalah" (separation of the day) should not be recited by Noahides."

Upon reading the Kiddush prayer (minus, of course, the part specific for Israel regarding giving Shabbat as a heritage), Havdalah prayer and the prayers for welcoming Shabbat, I do not, in my limited knowledge, see how they are wrong for an observant Noahide to say. Here’s my thinking on why I see it this way:

1. The prayers indicate that G-D, may He be blessed, sanctifies Shabbat and calls it a holy day for Israel.
2. I understand that G-d has specifically commanded Israel to keep Shabbat, but if G-d, my G-d, considers it a holy day and separates it from the rest of the
days, why can I not respect that by welcoming it, by saying Kiddush (again minus the specific portion for Israel), and then upon it’s completion, recognizing
that G-d distinguishes it from the rest of the week?
3. If, as an observant Noahide, I am reciting the prayers welcoming Shabbat, the Kiddush prayer and the Havdalah prayer to simply acknowledging that G-d
has given the day to Israel as a heritage, and that HE sanctifies it and considers it holy, what harm is done?
4. The prayers state that G-d separates the holy from the profane, the seventh day from the rest of the week. So, by saying these prayers I am simply
acknowledging this. I am not stating that I am commanded to keep Shabbat nor that it was given to me as a Noahide as a day to rest from the 39
prohibited activities, nor that I am sanctifying it. I am just making a simple declaration of fact.

I look forward to your thoughts and comments on my reasoning.

Messages In This Thread
Remembering the Seventh day - by shanti50 - 11-19-2011, 09:05 AM
RE: Remembering the Seventh day - by shanti50 - 11-21-2011, 09:57 PM
RE: Remembering the Seventh day - by djmck - 12-15-2011, 01:47 AM
Friday night and Saturday night meals - by jjny76 - 10-06-2016, 10:56 AM