Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sacrifices
My understanding is that G-d's commands to humankind can be divided into distinct categories as follows:
  1. Commands that are logically obligatory on everyone to obey. (e.g., being kind, not murdering)
  2. Commands that have no logical necessity for everyone. This category can be further subdivided:
    1. Commands that, although there is no general moral obligation to observe them, could nevertheless provide a practical benefit to a person or to society. (tithing, circumcision)
    2. Commands that do not provide a practical benefit. (wearing ritual fringes)
Gentiles are obligated to obey all commands in category 1. Gentiles may observe commands in category 2.1, as long as they are not done out of a sense that they are religious obligations. Gentiles should not observe any commands in category 2.2.

Assuming this summary is correct, I have a question about animal sacrifice: why were Gentiles permitted to perform it? Was it the case that animal sacrifice fell into category 2.1 (it had practical benefit) -- if so, what was the benefit? Or was it the case that animal sacrifice had no practical benefit and it was simply an exception to the general rule that Gentile should never observe commands from category 2.2?

(This question is of theoretical interest only as actually performing a sacrifice is the furthest thing from my mind.)

Messages In This Thread
Sacrifices - by gabriel - 04-08-2018, 06:32 AM
RE: Sacrifices - by Director Michael - 04-10-2018, 09:04 AM