Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Blessings before eating or drinking
Joachim ben Noach Wrote:BS"D
I have been saying the blessings over food in Hebrew for some time: but shall I understand from the Divine Code book that they may only be said in translation?

You may say the blessings to G-d over food, in any language, as long as you understand the words you're saying.

Joachim ben Noach Wrote:Also, is no blessing whatsoever said after a drink or small snack?

The Jewish Sages established blessings after eating or drinking that would be said only after ingesting a filling amount (at least about an ounce in weight of food, and about 3.5 fluid ounces of drink).

Joachim ben Noach Wrote:Until obtaining the Divine Code book I said, after any meal, drink or snack: "Baruch atah [HaShem], Eloheinu Melech HaOlam, Borei nefashot ..." cutting short the Jewish "Borei Nifashot..." blessing.

If you are going to say a blessing to G-d for food, before or after eating or drinking, using that Hebrew liturgical phrase that the Sages established ("Baruch atah [HaShem], Eloheinu Melech HaOlam ... [etc.]"), then it would be preferable to complete the blessing, using the phrase that the Sages established.

Joachim ben Noach Wrote:Now I merely say 'Thank you for this water/coffee etc.'

That's OK too.

Joachim ben Noach Wrote:May I learn and use all Hebrew Jewish blessings relating to food, except the Jewish 'Grace after meals'?

The recommended blessings are printed in "The Divine Code," Volume 1, and those can be said in Hebrew if you understand the words.

Messages In This Thread
Blessings before eating or drinking - by Joachim ben Noach - 10-21-2008, 01:46 AM
RE: Activities During Eating - by Joachim ben Noach - 05-08-2009, 08:11 PM
RE: Activities During Eating - by Director Michael - 05-13-2009, 01:23 PM
RE: Activities During Eating - by Joachim ben Noach - 05-13-2009, 07:26 PM
RE: Eating Kosher? - by Director Michael - 10-27-2008, 01:50 PM