Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Importance of laws of the land
Dear Rabbi Weiner, Dr. Schulman and Rabbis,

Thank you for answering my letter. I have some more question about the underlying philosophy of the mentioned law. Somehow this law seems to me dissimilar to the other six laws. The other six Noahide Laws are universal and apply to every man in any country at any time. The details of these laws can be derived from different Torah-based sources. But the Law of "Establish Laws and Courts" - which includes to keep the laws of state - imposes different obligations depending on where and when somebody lives, if I am right.
Since the details of the other six commandments can be derived from the Torah and rabbinical sources they are unquestionable in every way. But is it true concerning the laws of state too? I can imagine a situation when a legislator is not very thorough and conscientious and he or she make a law which imposes unnecessary difficulties to a person or unrighteous in some way. In other cases there are contradictory or excessively subjective paragraphs in laws, and also could be situations when the government must transgress some of his own laws to help the society (for example, build a hospital from money not sufficient to keep every regulations).
My personal question is if the laws of state equally important then the details of the other commandments then should I spend significant time to learn the most important laws my own country? Is it included in the law "Establish Laws and Courts"? (I think it is not a good approach to say if I don't know about one law then I cannot be liable transgressing it.)
In summary, I only want to know wheater are debates among orthodox rabbis concerning the laws of state (like what would be a precise and righteous justice system which is beneficial to the whole society), and what is the proper approach that a pious man (jew and not jew) should follow?

Thank you,
Gergely

Messages In This Thread
RE: Importance of laws of the land - by Gergely_Hungary - 11-11-2012, 07:13 AM
RE: Importance of laws of the land - by amenyahu - 03-18-2014, 09:47 AM
RE: Importance of laws of the land - by amenyahu - 03-25-2014, 06:33 PM
RE: Importance of laws of the land - by amenyahu - 04-14-2014, 06:52 PM