Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Noahide Torah Study
Benoach Wrote:May I study in Hebrew (or Aramaic) original sources containing discussions and reasoning on Noahide Laws? I mean Gemara with commentaries of Rashi and Tosafot (e.g. Sanhedrin 56a-60a) and Mishne Torah with commentaries of Kesef Mishne etc. (Hilchot Melachim 8-10)?

If you are an observant Noahide, you may study the parts of those sources that are referenced in the books by Rabbi Weiner on the Torah-Law details of the Noahide Code: "Sheva Mitzvot HaShem" and "The Divine Code."

Benoach Wrote:And what about those parts of these sources which don't pertain Noahide Laws directly but which are needed to fully understand them (Avoda Zara, Bava Kamma or Hilchot Avoda Zara)?

If there is a part of a Torah-based source that is needed to fully understand the Noahide Laws, then it does pertain to the Noahide Laws, and if you are an observant Noahide, you may study it. But if you are going into the Talmud or Kabbalah to study those parts, you should do it with the guidance and assistance of a reliable Torah scholar, to make sure that you are properly understanding the material.

Benoach Wrote:May I study rabbi Weiner's "Sefer Mitzvot Ha-Shem" in Hebrew original?

Yes. But it deals with abstract issues as well as practical issues, so it is recommended to have assistance from a Torah scholar if you are going to be going through the abstract issues.

Benoach Wrote:In fact I've been writing doctoral thesis on Noahide Laws according to Rambam, in which I'm trying to understand his decisions, show and quote his sources (in original languages), and explain differences between halacha [Torah law] for Israel and for Gentiles? May I do this?

In regard to the halacha for Gentiles, this has been covered comprehensively for the first time by Rabbi Moshe Weiner, in "Sheva Mitzvot HaShem" and "The Divine Code." So those should be your main sources for researching and understanding the subject. If you are trying to understand and compare the halacha for Jews, I highly recommend that you seek more Rabbinical guidance on that part of your project. And that certainly would involve delving into areas of Torah that do not pertain to the Noahide Laws.

Messages In This Thread
Noahide Torah Study - by scott allen - 08-22-2007, 03:56 AM
RE: Noahide Torah Study - by Director Michael - 01-17-2016, 12:28 PM
RE: Noahide Torah Study - by ASubmitter - 06-05-2016, 05:52 AM
RE: Noahide Torah Study - by Director Michael - 07-11-2016, 04:35 PM
RE: Noahide Torah Study - by TomBenNoah - 07-17-2018, 02:55 PM
RE: Noahide Torah Study - by Director Michael - 07-17-2018, 10:44 PM
Oral Torah - by saidjake - 09-28-2007, 03:55 PM