By Laura M. Ahearn
- A hugely available creation to the learn of language in real-life social contexts round the world
- Combines vintage reviews on language and state of the art modern scholarship and assumes no previous wisdom in linguistics or anthropology
- Provides a unifying synthesis of present study and considers destiny instructions for the field
- Covers key themes reminiscent of: language and gender, race, and ethnicity; language acquisition and socialization in childrens and adults; language loss of life and revitalization; functionality; language and idea; literacy practices; and multilingualism and globalization
Read or Download Living Language: An Introduction to Linguistic Anthropology (Primers in Anthropology) PDF
Best anthropology books
Excellent to be used, both as a moment textual content in a regular criminology path, or for a discrete direction on biosocial views, this booklet of unique chapters breaks new and critical floor for methods modern-day criminologists have to imagine extra largely in regards to the crime problem.
This is often the file of 2 associated learn tasks: the SSRC venture on difficulties and results of training approximately Race relatives, and the Calouste Gulbenkian starting place undertaking on instructing approximately Race kinfolk via Drama. Its goal is to aid academics who will face race as a subject, even if it arises within the general process their topic instructing or is brought as a separate subject.
The majority of americans have, at one aspect or one other gotten inebriated, smoked, dabbled with medicinal drugs, gambled, sworn or engaged in adultery. in the course of the 1800s, decent humans struggled to manage those behaviors, labeling them undesirable and the folk who indulged in them unrespectable. within the 20th century, despite the fact that, those minor vices have been remodeled right into a societal complicated of huge and pervasive effect.
'Another global is feasible' examines the numerous peoples who've mobilized faith and spirituality to forge id. a few declare direct hyperlinks to indigenous non secular practices; others have appropriated externally brought religions, editing those with indigenous views and practices. The voices of Black humans from worldwide are offered in essays starting from the Indian subcontinent, Japan and Australia to Africa, the united kingdom and america.
- Besucherbindung im Opernbetrieb: Theoretische Grundlagen, empirische Untersuchungen und praktische Implikationen (Kulturmanagement und Kulturwissenschaft) (German Edition)
- Latina Lives in Milwaukee (Latinos in Chicago and Midwest)
- Politics of Piety: The Islamic Revival and the Feminist Subject
- Cyber Selves: Feminist Ethnographies of South Asian Women
- Networking the International System: Global Histories of International Organizations (Transcultural Research – Heidelberg Studies on Asia and Europe in a Global Context)
Extra resources for Living Language: An Introduction to Linguistic Anthropology (Primers in Anthropology)
Living Language: An Introduction to Linguistic Anthropology (Primers in Anthropology) by Laura M. Ahearn