By Frances M. Ashcroft
Ion channels are membrane proteins that act as gated pathways for the stream of ions throughout phone membranes. They play crucial roles within the body structure of all cells. in recent times, an ever-increasing variety of human and animal ailments were came upon to consequence from defects in ion channel functionality. every one of these ailments come up from mutations within the genes encoding ion channel proteins, and they're now often called the channelopathies.
Ion Channels and Disease offers an informative and up to date account of our current realizing of ion channels and the molecular foundation of ion channel ailments. It incorporates a simple advent to the appropriate facets of molecular biology and biophysics and a short description of the important tools used to check channelopathies. for every channel, the connection among its molecular constitution and its practical homes is mentioned and ways that genetic mutations produce the affliction phenotype are considered.
This e-book is meant for examine staff and clinicians, in addition to graduates and complicated undergraduates. The textual content is obvious and vigorous and assumes little wisdom, but it takes the reader to frontiers of what's presently recognized approximately this most fun and medically vital quarter of physiology.
- Introduces the correct facets of molecular biology and biophysics
- Describes the important equipment used to check channelopathies
- Considers unmarried periods of ion channels with summaries of the physiological position, subunit composition, molecular constitution and chromosomal situation, plus the connection among channel constitution and function
- Looks at these illnesses linked to faulty channel buildings and rules, together with mutations affecting channel functionality and to what volume this variation in channel functionality can account for the scientific phenotype
Read or Download Ion Channels and Disease: Channelopathies (Quantitative Finance) PDF
Similar biophysics books
Ozone is an ordinary constituent of air yet this gasoline turns into harmful for dwelling organism while its focus within the troposphere is simply too excessive. so much earlier reports of this substance tested it only in its function as an earth display for the biosphere or an air pollutant. This e-book also will view its derivatives (active oxygen species) at a molecular and mobile point, as ingredients that experience either confident and unwanted effects on plants.
Structural Biology utilizing Electrons and X-Rays discusses the diffraction and image-based tools used for the choice of complicated organic macromolecules. The e-book makes a speciality of the Fourier rework thought, that is a mathematical functionality that's computed to rework indications among time and frequency area.
The volumes during this authoritative sequence current a multidisciplinary method of modeling and simulation of flows within the cardiovascular and ventilatory platforms, specifically multiscale modeling and paired simulations. The cardiovascular and breathing structures are tightly coupled, as their basic functionality is to provide oxygen to and take away carbon dioxide from the body's cells.
Following up on his first publication, Fundementals of Biophysics, the writer, a well known scientist during this quarter, builds on that origin through providing the biologist or scientist a sophisticated, entire insurance of biophysics. Structuring the booklet into 4 significant elements, he completely covers the biophysics of complicated platforms, equivalent to the kinetics and thermodynamic strategies of organic structures, within the first half.
- Mechanosensitive Ion Channels: 1 (Mechanosensitivity in Cells and Tissues)
- E. coli in Motion (Biological and Medical Physics, Biomedical Engineering)
- The Physiology of Characean Cells
- Quantitative Ultrasound in Soft Tissues
- Mathematical Modelling of Chromosome Replication and Replicative Stress (Springer Theses)
- Bio-Based Plant Oil Polymers and Composites (Plastics Design Library)
Extra resources for Ion Channels and Disease: Channelopathies (Quantitative Finance)
Ion Channels and Disease: Channelopathies (Quantitative Finance) by Frances M. Ashcroft