By John Morreall,Robert Mankoff
- Offers an enlightening and available foray into the intense enterprise of humor
- Reveals how regular theories of humor fail to provide an explanation for its actual nature and truly aid conventional prejudices opposed to humor as being delinquent, irrational, and foolish
- Argues that humor’s merits overlap considerably with these of philosophy
- Includes a foreword via Robert Mankoff, sketch Editor of The New Yorker
Read Online or Download Comic Relief: A Comprehensive Philosophy of Humor (New Directions in Aesthetics) PDF
Best aesthetics books
Just about all people might agree that the event of artwork is deeply worthwhile. Why this is often the case continues to be a puzzle; nor does it clarify why many folks locate artworks even more very important than different assets of delight. paintings and data argues that the event of artwork is so profitable since it will be a tremendous resource of information approximately ourselves and our relation to one another and to the realm.
Drew A. Hyland, one in every of Continental philosophy's keenest interpreters of Plato, takes up the query of attractiveness in 3 Platonic dialogues, the Hippias significant, Symposium, and Phaedrus. What Plato intended by means of good looks isn't really simply characterised, and Hyland's shut readings exhibit that Plato eventually supplies up at the danger of a definition.
Bilder schauen wir an, unser Anschauen scheint durch diese Bilder geführt. In der immer stärker anwachsenden Flut solcher Bilder scheint unser Denken mehr und mehr durch dieses Anschauen bestimmt. Dabei offeriert diese Flut meist nur ein Spiel mit bekannten Formen, die variiert und in vielleicht verblüffender Weise präsentiert werden.
This can be a number of interdisciplinary essays that examines the old, political, and social value of 11th of September. This assortment considers September 11 as an occasion located in the a lot higher historic context of past due late-capitalism, a paradoxical time during which American and capitalist hegemony exist as pervasive and but lower than precarious conditions.
- Figural Philology: Panofsky and the Science of Things (Bloomsbury Studies in Continental Philosophy)
- Sewn in the Sweatshops of Marx: Beuys, Warhol, Klein, Duchamp
- Maritain’s Ontology of the Work of Art
- The Indispensable Excess of the Aesthetic: Evolution of Sensibility in Nature
- Sufi Aesthetics: Beauty, Love, and the Human Form in the Writings of Ibn 'Arabi and 'Iraqi (Studies in Comparative Religion)
- Aquinas on Beauty
Additional resources for Comic Relief: A Comprehensive Philosophy of Humor (New Directions in Aesthetics)
Comic Relief: A Comprehensive Philosophy of Humor (New Directions in Aesthetics) by John Morreall,Robert Mankoff