By Margaret Lock,Vinh-Kim Nguyen
- Introduces biomedicine from an anthropological viewpoint, exploring the entanglement of fabric our bodies with heritage, atmosphere, tradition, and politics
- Develops and integrates an unique concept: that the human physique in well-being and ailment isn't an ontological given yet a portable, malleable entity
- Makes wide use of old and modern ethnographic fabrics around the world to demonstrate the significance of this methodological approach
- Integrates key new learn information with extra classical fabric, overlaying the administration of epidemics, famines, fertility and delivery, through army medical professionals from colonial instances on
- Uses a variety of case experiences to demonstrate innovations resembling the worldwide commodification of human our bodies and physique elements, sleek types of inhabitants, and the extension of biomedical applied sciences into family and intimate domains
- Winner of the 2010 Prose Award for Archaeology and Anthropology
Read or Download An Anthropology of Biomedicine: An Intro PDF
Best anthropology books
Perfect to be used, both as a moment textual content in a regular criminology direction, or for a discrete direction on biosocial views, this publication of unique chapters breaks new and critical floor for methods modern criminologists have to imagine extra greatly concerning the crime problem.
This can be the file of 2 associated learn tasks: the SSRC venture on difficulties and results of training approximately Race kin, and the Calouste Gulbenkian origin venture on educating approximately Race family members via Drama. Its target is to assist lecturers who will face race as a subject matter, even if it arises within the basic process their topic educating or is brought as a separate subject.
The majority of american citizens have, at one aspect or one other gotten under the influence of alcohol, smoked, dabbled with medicines, gambled, sworn or engaged in adultery. through the 1800s, first rate humans struggled to regulate those behaviors, labeling them undesirable and the folk who indulged in them unrespectable. within the 20th century, even though, those minor vices have been remodeled right into a societal complicated of large and pervasive impact.
'Another international is feasible' examines the numerous peoples who've mobilized faith and spirituality to forge identification. a few declare direct hyperlinks to indigenous religious practices; others have appropriated externally brought religions, enhancing those with indigenous views and practices. The voices of Black humans from all over the world are provided in essays starting from the Indian subcontinent, Japan and Australia to Africa, the united kingdom and the us.
- Arbeiterkultur, Arbeitskultur, Arbeitskulturen.
Geschichte der Arbeitsforschung in der Ethnologie (German Edition)
- China und Europa (Chinese-Western Discourse) (German Edition)
- Corporatism and Comparative Politics: The Other Great "Ism" (Sources and Studies in World History)
- Introduction to Forensic Anthropology
- Ethnicity, Nationalism and Conflict in and after the Soviet Union: The Mind Aflame (International Peace Research Institute, Oslo (PRIO))
- The Predicament of Culture: Twentieth-century Ethnography, Literature and Art
Extra info for An Anthropology of Biomedicine: An Intro
An Anthropology of Biomedicine: An Intro by Margaret Lock,Vinh-Kim Nguyen